Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The sling rules!

I am an absolute novice at getting Cooper into the sling. It takes me forever, I inevitably upset the little guy, and then within 30 seconds of finally being shoehorned and man-handled into the sling he is the happiest little pea in a pod that you can imagine. We love the sling. We bake muffins together, unload the dishwasher, visit the neighbor's house to return the library of borrowed pregnancy books, and generally enjoy greater ability to accomplish little things. Including blog posts.

The other thing that I would term "momma's little helper" is the sound of our appliances. Washer, dryer, or dishwasher- it doesn't matter, it is heaven to Cooper. He grooves out in his bouncy chair to the loud white noise. Sometimes he is awake and just relaxing in appliance-noise bliss, and other times he is sound asleep. I have actually thought to myself, "Gee, I hope there is something to put in the dryer" once or twice when Cooper was having a bad fussy spell. I cannot bring myself to run it empty JUST to make the little guy happy and calm, but I can imagine it happening if I got really desperate.

Cooper's baby acne is not getting better, sadly. His little apple cheeks are dotted with tiny zits, and he even has one or two on his chest. I do my best to gently wash the messy spilt milk off his face after all the day-time feedings, but I also know that baby acne is hormonally driven and thus, my efforts are probably useless. I hope it clears up soon.

My sore boob recovered in less than 24 hours. I am very glad that what I self-diagnosed as a plugged duct took well to the treatments suggested for plugged ducts (hot showers, extra nursing, gentle massage) and cleared up on its own. Both my boobs have acclimated to milk production fairly well and aside from my continuing comical milk oversupply, my bust is now almost a normal looking proportion to my body and actually physically comfortable. I leak a lot. I'm learning to deal with that.

My mom told me that when she was nursing my sister, her milk let-down reflex was so easily triggered that hearing a cat meowing would make her wet her shirt.

Let's just say that while I haven't heard any cats lately, I do have some very vocal chickens, and now a damp flannel buttondown...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Maybe leaving the milk on his face will help with the acne. Wonders of mother's milk and all that.
Worth a shot.