Friday, April 25, 2008

Normalcy

I know that things will never be the same again now that we have a baby, and that is a good thing. Matt and I are working hard to create a "new normal" that maintains the things we enjoy and mixes them with our little guy.

One thing that Matt and I both have placed a high priority on is maintaining the sports and activities we like. For me right now, that is cross country skiing and ultimate frisbee. After our super fun x-c adventure last weekend, I was ready to take on my return to frisbee as well. With Cooper tucked neatly into the sling on Dad's chest at the sidelines, I put on my cleats and gave it a go.

Needless to say, a fast team sport is different from cruisin' the snow at your own pace, but it proved enjoyable anyway. It felt good to be on the field, laugh and play with friends, and do quite a bit of jogging. Normally you sprint in ultimate, not jog, but between being grossly out of shape and still having hormonally loosened hip ligaments, all my running was slow and steady.

I made some good passes, a few quality defensive plays, and generally had a great time. But I was really stunned at how poor my lung capacity has become, and the feeling of running on a set of childbirth modified hips was bizarre. Almost like being drunk. I'm sure they will improve with time... right?

One of my friends with two kids was excited to see me- she said she had started back up playing around 6 or 7 weeks after her first son. We commiserated about the hip thing (she said hers got better quite rapidly) and then revealed, "With (her first son) every time I changed directions on the field or jumped, I peed myself. It was a mess!"

That is one thing I am glad of; I have not developed any stress incontinence. I know several friends that have, and I hear it is big problem. Peeing yourself is not dignified, among other things.

No comments: