Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The beauty of the US medical system

Me: "Hi, I need to make an appointment with Dr. K."

Her: "Have you seen him before?"

Me: "Yes, about three weeks ago."

Her: "OK, the next available appointment is June 25th."

Me: "Oh no, I need it sooner. Do you have anything sooner then that?"

Her: "Well the earliest I can get you in with his physician's assistant on May 3rd."

Me: "I don't want to be difficult, but I have a horrific rash all over my arms, legs, and butt. Three weeks ago I took a 10 day course of steroids that Dr. K prescribed to get rid of this rash, which worked temporarily, but now it is back and it is taking every ounce of my being not to physically tear my skin off. Yesterday I cut off all my nails and then filed them down to stubs so that I don't draw blood from scratching in my sleep. I truly cannot wait until the 3rd."

Her: "Oh now look! There is an opening, tomorrow!"

Me: "Thank you."

No comments: