Friday, February 15, 2008

Preparedness

We met with our doula again the other day (she is just so nice!) and went over a wide variety of labor, baby needs, and feeding things. I really like having her as part of our baby prep team- she is really helpful, relaxing to talk to, and very, very informative.

I did, however, get the closest thing to a disapproving look that I've ever gotten from her when I revealed we did not yet have newborn size diapers. This was no less than the third person in three days to remind me that I need diapers (I know that they wear diapers! I swear!).

So last night I went to Target and bought 40 of the 0 - 10lb diapers and some diaper cream for good measure. And then I went to Costco and bought a huuuuuge box of scentless baby wipes, having been told by a friend that the Costco baby wipes are absolutely the best ones out there.

Does this mean I'm ready? Like, if I had the baby right now, I could keep its butt clean and dry? Hmmm... maybe I should start washing its little bitty clothes too. And pack a bag for me. All of this seems very "real."

In the mean time, the baby is keeping itself entertained by fiercely attacking me at random intervals, burrowing its head into my bladder, and growing at an assuredly near-exponential rate. Sometimes it moves so strongly that it leaves sore spots on my belly for a few hours, like really light bruising. Oooof. I think this baby is going to be a handful!

Oh, and then there is the mystery of the clicking. I'll write about that later.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Diapers would be the last thing I would prepare, because we were able to take home the whole pack we had with us in the hospital recovery room. Alsong with a jumbo tube of Desitin.
I would give you the disapproving look for not having your hospital bag packed, instead.
Also, I think by this point I had the newborn clothing de-tagged and washed and shelved.

Jennifer said...

um.
That's a combination of also + along.

MissoulaChick said...

De-tagged? Hmmm... had not thought of that. So much to learn.