Wednesday, February 6, 2008

35 days?

35 days? Are you kidding me? That is like, kinda, one month! Whoa.

I met with a pediatrician on Monday and we talked about all the important details;

- car seat (check)
- safe sleeping place (check)
- circumcision decision (check)
- you understand that vaccinations are really important, right? (check)
- first months worth of appointments explained (check)

So she concludes our meet and greet with, "Well, you are ready then! Good luck!"

Yeeeeeeep! I'm gonna be a mommy? Seriously? Gah!

Matt and I are as ready as we'll ever be. And when you get down to it, I think (and I could be wrong here) no one is ever truly ready for a big life change like getting married or having a kid. There are just far too many unknowns.

I refer here to Donald Rumsfeld, and this strange piece of wisdom;

"...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

How true that is. I fear the unknown unknowns, I embrace the known knowns, and I am curious about the known unknowns. Discuss.

No comments: