Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Word count

Matt and I made a gentleman's bet- I thought Cooper could understandably and contextually correctly say over 20 words, and Matt thought it was less (more like 15, he said). Well people, I am happy to report, I was closest to being correct. This is counting his animal sounds, which according to the stuff I've read, count as words for these kind of purposes.

1 - uh oh
2 - doggie
3 - kittie
4 - bird
5 - "moo"
6 - "woof"
7 - "bzzz" (for bees)
8 - moon
9 - balloon
10- dot
11- hot
12- hat
13- Dada
14- blanket
15- water
16- more
17- cheese
18- down
19- up
and, inexplicably, #20... badger! He has a book with a badger in it and he loves to point at the badger and say "Badger!" It is actually one of his best pronounced words of the whole lot.

You may notice that Mama is not on the list. He calls both of us Dada right now, although he does know full well that I am Mama when referred to (like "can you touch Mama's nose?").

So- 18 months old, 20 words he can say, and an impossibly large number of words that he understands. Pretty exciting!

No comments: