Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Shots

I can't believe how many shots Cooper has been getting. Because of his post-shots rash last time, we are on a modified schedule of a few shots here, a few shots there.

So he's had 6 separate shots in the last month, instead of 3 shots. This is because a lot of vaccines are now combination shots, to minimize the number of "pricks" the baby gets. But Cooper has been getting them one per needle, and kind of one at a time.

6 is a lot. After this last set (Monday), which was three immunizations in one needle each, he got irritable and very mildly fevery the next day. It was not a very nice way to spend Tuesday.

And today, he's been kind of in a funky mood. He's happy and normal one minute, and then grumpy and demanding the next. And he hasn't wanted to eat on his regular schedule, which compounds the grumpiness. His noon nap didn't start until 3pm because he was too alternately fussy and giggly.

I've noticed that vaccines make him get nauseous, too. I think for the last three times he got shots, he vomited the next day at least once. He's such a non-spitter and non-vomiter that when he does, it is quite surprising. I got positively showered in hurl yesterday. I won't go into details, but lets just say that both of us got in the shower as quickly as possible.

I'm not looking forward to this whole vaccines thing for the next 6 years, or whatever it is. I understand why we do it, but it still stinks.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Poor little guy!

I would have loved to seen you after the "spray." Ha!

Hope Mr. Cooper feels better!