Saturday, July 12, 2008

Somewhere between proud and scared

Yesterday I set Cooper in the middle of our bed (queen size) on his belly with a few toys. I was standing about 10 feet away, folding laundry and chatting with him. A few minutes passed (I was only paying marginal attention to him, honestly, as he was talking to himself happily and I was making serious progress on the laundry). I looked up because he was squealing excitedly and I saw a minor accident in progress. Cooper was 2/3 off the bed, flailing his arms vigorously in the air, and on the way down. I took about one step forward, far too late, and he scunched his butt up, legs underneath him, and launched himself full force off the bed.

THUMP!



Waaaaaaah!!!

I was alarmed, of course, but also pretty proud of him. He was very clearly not hurt (our bed is quite low, and the floor is carpeted in the bedroom) despite his screeching. Within less than one minute he was just sniffling and snuggling up to me, which meant that he was totally fine.

I can't believe how fast he scrunched his way across the bed, nor can I believe the force with which he hurled himself off the side. The kid seems to be on the brink of full fledged crawling- he now is almost always not where I left him. If I put him on one side of the crib with a toy on the other end, he is over on the other side so quickly it amazes me.

We are not at all ready for a crawler. We have an open stairwell, a huge home renovation project in motion, unsecured bookshelves, and a lot of other baby threats.

People say you are never ready to have a kid. I disagree. We were ready to have a kid. We are NOT ready to have a mobile kid. But here we go!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

His cousin ate a gold bracelet this morning.
Then pooped it out this evening.
So.
Um.
Sometimes shit happens.
But sometimes shit happens and there's a gold-and-pearl bracelet in it.
There's a lesson in here somewhere, I'm sure.

Kev S said...

Hey, I took a dive out of my crib when I was 6 months old, and I seemed to have turned out OK.

Mostly.