Tuesday, July 15, 2008

4 month appointment

We had our 4 month checkup yesterday. I loooove checkups because they are a total brag-fest for us. And because Cooper is really quick at getting over the shock and insult of vaccines, so I don't dread that part at all. He's typically in sniffle and snuggle mode within about two minutes of the incident.

The nurse and doctor both said that Cooper is about as developed both physically and socially as the average 6 month old. That is pretty amazing, considering he is 4 months old. His standing, sitting, quasi-crawling, head control, grabbing, eye contact, giggling, verbal skills, and toy use are all well above average. The doctor even gave us the go-ahead to use a framepack carrier for him (usually no-go until 6 months 'cause it can give them whiplash) because his neck and back muscles are so strong. Matt is very excited about that.

He has ceased being shockingly huge and is now more like "big." He is in the 75% for everything- height, weight, and head size. That is a good place to be for a kid, and it is reassuring to see him kind of evening out, growth wise. While I'm all for a tall, healthy boy, my visions of Cooper following suit with his incredibly tall uncle (6'5"?) and second cousins (6'3" and 6'4", I think) are intimidating. I would rather avoid having to special order all the shoes for a teenager, frankly.

Because he broke out in a minor rash after the first set of shots, the doctor was very nice and obliged my request to only do one shot at a time from now on. I want to know what shot is causing the reactions, and if the reactions get worse, that way we can just eliminate one shot instead of fearing or avoiding a whole group of them.

I am sad that my pediatrician of choice is leaving her practice in a month. She was very sweet and I really liked her. I hope that I can develop as good of a relationship with her replacement- but of course her replacement didn't get to meet Cooper as a three day old bundle of cuteness. Oh well. We'll see at the 6 month checkup. My other hope is that the nurse stays the same. I like her a lot, and she is a very, very efficient baby-shot professional! It is about 5 seconds from shot to band-aid to back up in my arms. You could almost miss the whole thing if you blinked.

Stats;

Height- 25"
Weight- 15 lbs, 6 oz
Head- 75% for his age, I forget the actual number
Eyes- bright blue
Hair- tending towards sandy brown
Personality- bubbly, chatty, and adorable!

No comments: