Monday, March 3, 2008

Silly things

All these silly things happen to you while you are pregnant. Noone talks about it, though, because they are dumb and not even worth complaining about. But so weird.

Item #1. Moles and freckles change color
For the first one I went to a dermatologist, who more or less said, "Yeah, you are 6 months pregnant, so unless it gets really weird you can chalk it up to pregnancy." Since then, I've noticed darkening of several freckles and one mole, and I'm chalking it up. One in particular is really dark brown, but otherwise unchanged in texture, size, etc. Supposedly they will go back to normal afterwards.

Item #2. Skin tags
I've never had a true skin tag before. Now I have two itty bitty ones, in my left armpit. I am sort of embarassed (but also amused) that I decided to yank them off the other day. I discovered that doing so does not hurt, but the tiny wounds bled like the dickens. Matt then informed me (he has a few tiny skin tags normally) that they'll grow back really fast and while it is tempting to yank them off, it does you no good. Oh well. It didn't hurt.

Item #3. Extreme toenail growth
Yes, your fingernails and hair also grow faster. But you can easily see, and reach (thus trim), those! But your toenails? Hard to see. Harder to reach. Very challenging to trim. If I'm not vigilant, I end up with scary long toenails in what seems like only a few days. Eww!

Item #4. Tyrannosaurus rex syndrome
This is my term for a problem I have right now. You know how T. rex looks like he has a big belly and tiny disproportionate arms? Arms that hardly can do any good, and can't possibly reach past the belly? Arms that flail uselessly? Try making dinner like that. Or doing the dishes. No wonder the poor dinosaur went the way of the... wait... dinosaurs.

No comments: