Friday, September 7, 2007

Techno-naming

I have found the coooooolest website. It is this crazy interactive colored chart of all the American baby names for the last 150-ish years.

It is called the Name Voyager and if you are expecting (or just bored and intrigued) you should definitely go there. I am totally enthralled by it. I wish they had something like that for dog names, too!

Matt and I went through some baby names last night and I was quite pleased at our relatively similar tastes. We first discussed groundrules- no poking fun at the other person's choices, no names in the top 10 list for the last 3 years (being a Matt in a sea of Matts was difficult), names in the top 20 are immediately suspect but not necessarily rejected, nothing with a non-traditional spelling (for instance- Amy but not Aimee) , and no comments like, "I knew an ugly fat kid named that once." Then we went through and each picked out roughly 5 names for each gender, giving us a starting pool of 20 names to discuss. These are not the only names we will try, but they were a nice beginning.

It is interesting that I found it easier to find girl names that I liked, and Matt found it easier to find boy names that he liked. I wonder if that is typical.

We also talked about how we would come to our final decision. I voted for lengthy discussion and agreement, and no bargaining. The whole "you pick the first name, I get the middle name" to me sounds odd and inherently unfair. Matt thought about this and agreed to lengthy discussion and agreement as our technique.

That said, it might come down to coin tosses. :)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I thought you already knew about Name Voyager. And aren't you naming the baby Nevaeh, no matter what gender?

Dave and I both thought that boy names were easier. One thing about naming boys is that they are more likely to be nicknamed by their last names anyway, so there's less pressure at finding an original first name.

One problem with "unpopular" names is that sometimes you end up with the same one everyone else chooses. Just two weeks ago, we were at a barbeque with three boys under 1 - all named Miles.

I suggest the name Harriet. There's no shame in being named after your aunt's cat.

OK, maybe there is.

MissoulaChick said...

Actually, I plan to name it Neveah. Because I love that the misspelling of my least favorite name (which in itself is Heaven spelled backwards, FYI) is actually in the top 1000 girl names.

Idiots!

Also, Neveah has a nicer assumed pronounciation. Nev-Eh-Ah. Not bad. Nevaeh on the other hand is a puzzle to me. Nev- Eh? Neeva-Eh? Neeva?

sun_n_moonchild said...

Aluossim Tsae - It's a little unusual, surely not found in the top twenty, and there's a possibility some might think your baby is Nigerian-born, but I think the name clearly pays homage to Radwood roots - east side pride, yo!

Austin loves Radwoods!

sun_n_moonchild said...
This comment has been removed by the author.