Thursday, September 13, 2007

Attack of the round-ligament

I started looking pregnant on Monday. I know this is a funny statement- wouldn't you think it would just creep up? Well, maybe. But on Monday about 5 people told me I was "starting to actually look pregnant." And I looked in a full length mirror at school and thought- "Huh. They are right! I do look pregnant." And just on Sunday I had been thinking how I still looked pudgy. So long pudgy!

Oh course, most people are far too nice to tell me that I look pregnant. They are just thinking that I gained a lot of weight over the summer. These are the people that I have not yet bothered to tell that I am pregnant. They'll figure it out any day now, especially at this rate.

Last night my body wised up to the fact that I've started to look pregnant. At about 10pm I started having uncomfortable stabbing type pains in my left lower hip. These pains were kind of like bad gas pains, but not really. Doing certain things (like walking) made it feel better, but other things (like rolling onto my right side) made it worse. This continued all night, which was really not fun and kept me from sleeping very well.

In the morning I was pretty displeased. I set up an appointment (by now the pains were not nearly as annoying) for later in the day. The nurse was nice on the phone. She said I either had a ligament strain, or an ovarian cyst. Hmmmm... neither or those sounded that bad. She said she was glad it was left side, because right side is scarier (think appendix).

Sure enough, after my doctor thoroughly examined me, dopplered our Froggy, poked and prodded, she pronounced my left round ligament to be... grumpy. So what does this mean, doc? It means that my uterus weighs enough to anger the ligaments than hold it in check. It means that I can expect more of this pain in the future, and there is nothing to avoid it. Most importantly, it means that if I just ignore it, it will eventually go away! Perfect! Also, warm compresses are said to be helpful.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I had that too, and it went away altogether after a bit. I had some issues with twinging in my cyatic nerve, too, but only for a week or two.