Saturday, September 8, 2007

Quit touching me!

I'm discovering that many things that the baby-prep literature says will happen, despite seeming unlikely, do happen.

1) The queasy sensations did mysteriously disappear almost overnight. My food-weirdness and overly sensitive sense of smell, however, lives on.

2) Friends keep touching me!!!

I'm not anti-touching. I like to hug, pat people's shoulders, hold hands, etc. I don't have an overdeveloped sense of personal space, and I am not weirded out by more clinical touching (masseuses, doctor's annual exams, funky ultrasound wanding, and that sort of thing). But people keep poking and patting me! Matt, of course, is allowed. But seriously, three of my female friends have already thoroughly felt my belly. And they are so quick- it happens before I can do anything about it, despite my reassurance to them that really, it isn't any different yet.

Which is a lie. It is different. I am getting noticeable pudgy from just above my hips to just below my ribline, especially if I wear thin, fitted clothing like a lightweight stylish tee-shirt. In a broadcloth short, or a tunic-style shirt, there is no way you can see this pudginess. But put me in a form fitting tee and I look rotund in the belly region.

I think the best thing for me to do is to get over the touching, right now. I'm sure it will only get more insistent once I look actually pregnant (as opposed to plumply overstuffed). Swatting people's hands is very rude, and being all upset about it will only hurt everyone's feelings. Maybe I should start just inviting people to touch, so that it is marginally a situation in my control.

I can see it now:

"I'm X months/weeks pregnant. It IS really exciting! You wanna touch my uncomfortably bloated torso?"

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ugh. I hated that. And I know exactly what you mean about it happening so fast, you can't do anything about it.

If you do want it to stop, you can just say afterwards, in a friendly way, "You know, I'm just not comfortable with people touching my belly. I'm sure you understand. Can you help get the word out that I'd rather not be pet?"
This will make the toucher feel chagrin, but it's also a nice way of getting her on your side, because she's going to 'help' you by telling other people not touchies.

There are t-shirts with clever sayings like "Do Not Pet" or "Touching is for Daddy Only" or whatever, but people will absolutely ignore these.