Wednesday, January 2, 2008

What a pain in the #$%

A few readers of this blog will know that two years ago I had to have minor surgery on my butt. It hurt a lot and was, shall we say, demoralizing yet hilarious. Rest assured that you do not want this to happen to you (which is pretty much the case for all surgeries, I would think).

Well, it happened to me again. And you know what? It sucked, again. However, I feel good because I can list some positive things. and I will.

Positive changes since last time this happened-

1) At no time were my butt cheeks taped together with 2" wide medical tape (removal = yeeeeeouch!)
2) My surgeon was nice
3) I was not misdiagnosed at first
4) I knew what to expect from the procedure (i.e. very painful, but quick)
5) I knew that taking a painkiller an hour before the procedure was an extremely good idea and followed through with that concept

and

6) I used my new breathing techniques! Yeah!

That is right! The very nice nurse and I practiced some of the labor breathing techniques that I've learned while the surgeon ripped me a new %$#hole. Sorry, I couldn't resist the joke on that one. And you know what? I think it helped. Well, that and the fact that the surgeon was really, really understanding and tried very hard to be less sadistic than the one from two years ago.

So now, I am in recovery mode. Such a relief!

The poor baby had to bathe in all my nervous energy all morning and had a pretty significant freakout (kicking, squirming) after the surgery was over. I understand. It didn't know what was going on, all it knew was that it was swimming in a pool of adrenaline-laced fluid. But now baby is back to its usual antics, so I know that it has recovered.

No comments: