Saturday, January 26, 2008

What a difference

This past week at our appointment one of our midwives commented, "You are probably measuring really big right now because the baby is breech. They don't fit quite right in there like that."

I didn't really think much of it. I've measured big for months now, so how could the position of the baby's head make that big of a difference? Well, I shouldn't have poo-pooed her, because the belly has been shrinking for two days now. Noticeably. What this means, I've come to realize via web searches and thinking about it, is that baby's head is getting sunk snug into the sort of lower-uterus-socket where it belongs. The rest of the baby is now lower, and much more compact.

I look less pregnant, I feel less bulky and uncomfortable, I sleep better, I eat better, and thus... I feel better. I have nothing but pity for people with babies that stay breech to term- and I really hope that our little friend is truly crammed into the right spot right now. If it flips again I'll be disappointed.

Lest you be concerned about the baby seemingly getting smaller- it is making up for this change by getting more and more active. Whoever said 28 weeks was the peak of fetal movement obviously did not have a baby like ours! At 34 weeks I have a mover, shaker, hiccuper, kicker, squirmer, and general entertainment center. I can actually see the outlines of legs, knees, and even clearly of a foot sometimes, pressed hard against my skin. Matt has taken to staring at my belly like a TV screen- complete with his mouth open and eyes bugging out. It is totally wild to watch.

My mom asked me once if I thought this famous picture (see below) was faked. I wasn't sure. Now, I admit the toes detail is pretty wild, but after watching what our little buddy can do, I'm willing to believe it.

No comments: