Sunday, January 20, 2008

Hiccups

The baby gets the hiccups at least 4 to 5 times a day, and occasionally I wake up in the middle of the night to pee and can feel it hiccuping in there. It lasts anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes, on my estimation. The sensation is distracting yet cute, and I know it is supposed to signal good breathing preparation. But seriously- the literature all says, "it doesn't bother the baby" - but how could it not? Its whole body jumps, it often kicks and squirms during the hiccuping episode, and well, I sure don't like hiccuping. You can see its head jerk each time through my belly skin pretty darn clearly- it is not a weak movement at all.

Poor little thing. Can you imagine getting the hiccups over five times a day, for months on end? I don't think that sounds nice.

No comments: