Friday, January 11, 2008

Bobble-head strikes again

Two weeks ago the ultrasound technician said, and I think this is a pretty direct quote, "Baby looks pretty tightly packed in there. Shouldn't be able to move much anymore!" Head was down. Baby looked pretty darn snug.

Right.

A few nights ago I had one of these highly miserable evenings of nauseous torture that I rarely experience. This has happened to me a couple of times, although this was by far the worst yet. I was coughing, crying, and just about retching into our trash can by the bed. The only thing I didn't do is actually puke. And I didn't put it together that the baby was squirming insanely the whole time- I thought maybe it was my anxiety. Noooo... that is the tail wagging the dog in this case.

When we went to the OB's today I asked, because I was slightly suspicious, if baby was currently head up or butt up. She gently patted the baby's cute little bobble-head under my skin and confirmed my suspicion once more- the baby has squirmed its way upright, again. I have a grapefruit sized baby head under my left ribs and while it is kinda cute to feel it in there... well... no one (but the baby, who is surely pleased with its accomplishment) is too happy with this. Soon the baby will really grow too big, and it will get VERY firmly stuck (instead of just kinda stuck) and I truly hope that the baby is head-down at that time.

In the meantime, I have been instructed to do more back flexes and (as Matt and I call them) butt-wiggling exercises. These are in the hopes that baby will get jostled out of position during my contortions and decide to go head-down again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Babies can be turned. Not without some...discomfort. Katrina was head up. She was turned to be head down, but sunny-side up as the obgyn said. It involves some prodding and poking and .....well, discomfort. But, totally awesome at first eye-contact!

MissoulaChick said...

I've heard this is anywhere from painless to agonizing, depending on the doctor, your uterus, your baby, etc. My only friend that has had this done (unsuccessfully- baby refused to budge) reported that it was a horrendous experience. But then some people say it is just like you said- uncomfortable. So who knows.