Saturday, January 19, 2008

Celebrity head

The baby's head is becoming quite popular. Given that you can quite clearly see it bulging up under my skin, and that it does cute stuff like hiccup all the time, lots of people are now touching the head. Not strangers, mind you. They just touch me anywhere and don't care what I think.

Case in point- I'm at water aerobics, dangling my ankles in the hot tub after a good class. One of the new students was saying how she wanted to see one of the "really pregnant" bellies moving (that would be me and my friend Melissa) and I said that usually the baby falls asleep after water aerobics. Melissa agreed. But then I mistakenly said she could feel the baby's head if she wanted- and soon, pandemonium broke out. Everyone wanted to pet the baby head. From the right angle you could definitely see it, and it is unmistakably firm, round, and head-feeling if you gently rub over it. I had about 10 pregnant women on me in a second, ooohing and ahhing over the baby's head. It was very funny. Only a couple of women in the class are pregnant enough to i.d. body parts, and none of the other ones have a baby in a breech position.

Then last night, I had a friend over for dinner. I got very distracted at one point when the baby got the hiccups- sometimes it is a really, really strong feeling that makes it hard to think. Other times it is more subtle. Anyway, I told my friend she could feel it hiccup if she wanted and her eyes got all big. Sure enough, the baby obediently hiccuped into her palm as it rested on my belly. The jolt of its little skull is pretty distinct. The baby may not like being head down right now, but it is getting to be quite the show(wo)man... showbaby.

I'd give it all up for the baby to be feet up, head down. No amount of cute head petting is worth the discomfort and inconveniences of a head up baby. But I have little to no choice right now, so, oh well!

No comments: