Sunday, November 4, 2007

Squirmer!

I've been able to feel the baby move for at least a month, but in the last two weeks it has gotten downright strong. I've had my hands and arms nudged, kicked, and otherwise manipulated by the baby when they were at rest against my stomach area. The baby goes through periods of lots of movement (usually after I eat) where you can actually see my skin moving around like a scene from Alien.

Three days ago, I finally timed it just right with Matt so that he could feel the little squirmer doing its thing. Matt was pretty psyched- it kicked him pretty firmly right in the palm of his hand. Nice job little buddy! I've only recently gotten better at predicting these movements so even though we had been trying to get it to kick Matt for a few weeks, this was the first time the three of us were able to coordinate efforts successfully.

This morning the baby got really frisky after some pancakes and orange juice and we laughed as I pulled my shirt tight over my belly to watch the little feeties run patterns across my skin. We could clearly see a few kicks, and then some sort of "running man" kinda jogging-in-place motion for a while.

I can rarely feel its arms, but sometimes I do feel it doing things in that vicinity. I think the arm feelings are really muted because of my anterior placenta - which is fine. I know it has arms, and I know how capable it is at moving around its little legs. I think I can feel the head pretty well- that is like a dull shove rather than a little pokey kick or squirm. Makes sense to me.

Maybe once the baby gets even stronger I'll try to video its little feet smooshing up against my belly. That could be fun.

No comments: