Monday, October 8, 2007

Unforseeable repercussion

Lately, I've had a greater interest in housecleaning. This is not like me, but several of my pregnancy books do list a desire to "nest" as a element of the 2nd trimester so I'm not surprised. It is fine- a little extra sweeping and swabbing never hurt anyone. Besides, it is nice to have a clean kitchen, and for some reason cleaning seems more fun lately. Funny hormones.

However, one thing I've cleaned has caused a serious problem. We have this large bay window in the front of our house that was really dusty and dirty. I decided it needed to be clean last week, so I carefully sprayed and toweled the whole thing with some hippy-type windex until it was as clear as fresh air... which has led a horrifying and near constant stream of birds to smash into it. Matt and I have seen two robins smash the window in the last two days, and at least one little sparrow met up with the window while Matt was home last week. And those are only the birds that we know of! There could be dozens of other victims!

I feel so bad for the little things. It looks like they are flying off OK after a minute or two of recovery in the shrubs, but still- this cannot be good for them. It is only a matter of time until something hits it hard enough to drop dead into the garden below.

I've resolved to get a gauzy, lightweight curtain that lets light in but discourages bird hits. And here I thought having a clean front window would be a stress reducer...

No comments: