Friday, October 12, 2007

Bird curtain successful! and a story

The anti-bird gauzy curtain is working fabulously. It was very cheap, is pretty in the window, and we haven't heard or seen a bird smash itself into the glass since. Also, it has a slightly festive snowy-halloween-ish look to it so I placed some pumpkins in the windowsill and the overall effect is very cute.

Also- I ran into a distant friend today. I was wearing a warm vest (it is chilly out) and had my hands in the pockets, which basically negates any visual effect of being pregnant. I jokingly called it being "in-preg-nito" to Matt the other day, which we both thought was funny.

She said something like, "Hey! Good to see you! I hear you have a bun in the oven!" to which I replied "Yeah, it is really exciting. And next week I'll be halfway there, which is pretty neat."

She stared at my torso. Open mouthed, dead silence. Awkward pause. Then she pointed at my belly and said, "But where is the baby hiding?"

OK- stop the presses. This is a prime example of where I've noticed that people lose all sense of self control when faced with a pregnant person. When else is it OK to openly critique someone, in their face, in public, and POINT for god's sake, about their body shape? Never! Seriously.

I feel like I handled it with grace. I smiled and said something like "Oh, yes, this vest does hide it pretty well." And then I unzipped the vest to display that I indeed have a baby growing in there and she looked very relieved.

I can easily list nicer things she could have said that would have had the same message.

"Well, don't you look trim. Is that something that runs in your family?"

"I'm surprised- my other friends all showed their pregnancies much earlier!"

"I thought for sure you weren't very far along. Guess we should see each other more often."

Oh well. Her fault. Some people are kinda rude.

No comments: