Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Still in there

Baby Two is a stubborn little thing! Oh well.

I read an article in the NYTimes yesterday about toddler speech, and I must say I was all smiles. Despite Cooper's slightly slow start to using words from 9-15 months or so, he now would rank above average in terms of the type of words he uses, how many he uses, and how many he strings together. For instance, he often will ask where something has gone. "Blue marker go?" The 'where did the' is indicated with exaggerated sign language of a hands in the air, palms up, eyebrows up, shoulders shrugging plus the way he says it is very obviously a question. That, in toddler speak, is a pretty darn good sentence! Very cool.

His love of color names only started about a week ago, and it is very fascinating to me. His favorite colors are green, orange, and yellow. He also likes purple, blue, white, and black. He stubbornly refuses to say red- although I did trick him into saying it the other day, and so I know he's physically capable of saying the word itself. I won't push that hard on red again. I was mostly worried that the R was not working for him, or possibly that he doesn't see red, and now I'm pretty sure neither of those is the case.

Grey and brown seem to be a bit too abstract right now, but he'll say them if prompted, and can pick out a brown object from a selection of other easy colored things (like a pile of brown, yellow, and red crayons). He likes saying pink, but I don't think he really has that one down yet. I think he mostly says pink because it is a fun word. PEEE-NK!

No comments: