Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Getting closer

I'm excited to report that at yesterday's checkup, Baby Two was doing extremely well and I'm showing a lot more signs of pre-labor prep. According to our midwife, Baby is in a really good position, I'm at least 3cm with 50%, and the fact that I gained four pounds in one week is probably a sign that my body is prepping for the regular fluid loss that comes with delivery. Weirdly, my wedding ring and engagement ring still fit fine. I do recall that in the final week of my first pregnancy, I couldn't wear them because they were getting pretty snug and I was scared they could get stuck. So that's interesting- makes me wonder if I similarly gained fluid at the last minute that time, too. I had the baby on the day of my scheduled checkup, so there is no way to know if that was the case or not.

The other thing that was rather heartening is that as we were chatting at the end of the appointment, she started pulling all sorts of stuff out of her supply closet. I asked what she was doing, and she said, "At this point, you are a loudly ticking time bomb. I don't want to be surprised if you go into labor this afternoon, so I'm going to go through all my stuff one more time just to be extra sure."

Well now... THAT'S a vote of confidence! When your midwife determines she needs to nest, you know its real.

Unfortunately, that was yesterday. And last night yielded no baby. But still, it is good to hear, and makes me feel a lot more confident that I won't make it to my past-due deadline (this coming Monday). Not that it would be horrible, but induction is not at all what I want, so I'll be glad to avoid it.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I never got past 0cm, so your body's doing better than mine ever did.