Thursday, November 5, 2009

Yesterday and today

I've had a very weird last two days. For starters, Matt is on a hunting trip, so I'm flying solo with my silly blonde co-pilot. That makes life a little more hectic, although certainly not unmanageable.

Yesterday I had my 27 week appointment and it went great. Baby decided to brace his/her leg against my spine and stick a tiny bony knee straight into the air during my measurements. This startled me and my midwife, but we had fun running the mini ultrasound on my belly and seeing the little body part right there. Needless to say, this kid is a trickster and dang strong.

But then, in a frustrating turn of events, the birth center administrator had to break it to me that they are having weird trouble with my insurance, and it seems like I'm going to fall into a black hole of non-coverage for certain elements of my maternity coverage. So annoying, and stressful. So I spent a lot of time today on the phone trying to verify this is the case (it is), figure out how to get around it (no easy way), alert the appropriate people to the issue (they don't give a shit, because our insurance system is so messed up here in the US of A), and think outside the box for how to avoid the two basic things I want to avoid. #1- I don't want to make important decisions on my medical care providers based on what arbitrary restrictions my insurance has, #2- I don't want to have to spend thousands and thousands of extra dollars.

At the end of the day, after a long sequence of phone calls and thinking and more phone calls, I did come up with a strange but likely effective solution. But I'm mad about the whole dang thing. Mad mad mad.

In other news, another thing that's been driving me crazy about the culture of medicalized birth seems to have been (nearly) resolved today! There's been this big quasi-political heavy handed b.s. in my town about non-traditional care providers (nurse midwives, professional midwives, and doulas) and today the hospital had a meeting and it seemed to go well. I'm really excited at this development, and in the unlikely event that I or baby #2 have an emergency and need to transfer to hospital care, I'm really glad that this means I will still be able to have the people I trust by my side. So that's a big relief.

Oh, and lastly, Cooper didn't cry when I dropped him off at daycare this morning. If that ain't a miracle, I don't know what is.

No comments: