Sunday, November 8, 2009

Wordsplosion

Cooper's vocab is going through a serious explosion. His mimicry is getting pretty good (dangerously so) and he now sometimes says two word phrases, like "big doggie" or "more blueberries."

His pronunciation of certain consonants leaves a lot to be desired, so he's hard for other people to understand with many words. His hard Cs and Ks are terrible, so the word Chicken, which he uses ALL THE TIME, is incomprehensible to anyone but me and Matt. I never knew how prevalent chicken imagery was in all our lives until I had a toddler that loves to say chicken. Next time you are in a grocery aisle, check it out. Cereal boxes? Chickens. Freezer aisle? Chickens. Book store? Chickens. Toy store? Chickens. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE.

Besides his lingering problems with some consonants, his other major issue is transposition of sounds. For instance, it snowed last night. In the morning, Cooper and I were looking out the window and I said, "Look at all the snow!" to which Cooper excitedly said, "Nose! Nose!"

Precisely what I said... except not.

His trouble with the letter C also leads him to say his own name in very funny ways. For a few weeks he favored Boo-boo. Recently, he's moved towards something a little closer, which can be roughly written as "Boo-ber" or better yet, "Pooper."

I love the fact that he calls himself Pooper.

No comments: