Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The obese, elderly, terminally ill... and me

I'm trying to find a yoga class that suits my schedule and works for pregnancy. Yesterday I went to "Extra Gentle Yoga" at the local Women's gym to see if that would be a good fit. Obviously, it isn't prenatal, but for reasons of convenience it would be nice if it worked with my needs. I figured I'd skip moves on my back or my belly, and all would be fine.

What I didn't really think about is who goes to "Extra gentle yoga" in the middle of the afternoon. It is three basic categories of people- morbidly obese, elderly, and then this one other young woman. I'd be puzzled by this other young woman if, coincidentally, I didn't know her. But I do. She was just recently diagnosed (despite being around 30ish) with severe congestive heart failure and had to quit her job because of it and be very, very careful of her health.

Of course, I was by far the most clueless and needy person in the class. I'm out of practice, off balance, and shall we say "lumpy." It really was not a good fit for me. I think I need a legit prenatal class. One thing that I am particularly useless for is leg stretching- after years of high school track, many of my muscles became as tight as piano wire and simply do not stretch. So I can't do anything on my back, on my stomach, or that involves stretching my legs. Great.

Years ago, I went to a Yoga for Beginners class and after a few classes, the teacher came up to me afterwards. "I've noticed you really struggle with the calf and thigh stretches. I'm just curious- were you ever a competitive runner? That often causes the problems I see in your yoga."

Sigh. At least I'm not special.

No comments: