Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Growth charts

Did you know that in the USA, we don't use the World Health Organization growth chart? Nope. Wanna know why? Because that chart applies best to babies that are breastfed according to the World Health Organization guidelines. Which is about 2% of US kids. Yikes.

So I downloaded that chart, out of curiousity, and plotted Cooper's stats on it. Guess what? He's exactly at 50% for everything.

I can't say I'm surprised. But now I fully intend to ignore the growth chart at the pediatrician, because that chart is for a different demographic than my kid is.

These things are so interesting once you dig deeper, I think.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I can't believe only 2% of US kids are breastfed. Wow. I knew the number would be low, but I didn't think it'd be nearly that low! Craziness!

MissoulaChick said...

Well, not exactly. It is something like 70% initiate breastfeeding (i.e. try it out on the first day), 30% make it to two months, 20% make it to 6 months, and some crazy thing like 2 or 5% make it to a year. And that last one is what the WHO recommends. But I'm surely not getting those figures quite right. Still, I find it alarming.