Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Fun for the whole family!

The baby seems to have flipped back over, much to my relief (physical and mental). I can't imagine having a full term baby in the breech position- it was noticeably less comfortable in several ways to have that little head stuck under my ribcage. Now, I'm back to getting kicked in the gut, but that is waaaay better. The other possibility is that I am fooling myself and the baby is still upside-up. I have a doctor's appointment in about 10 days so if that is the case, I'll figure it out soon.

Baby's kicking/punching squirming is getting incredibly strong. Every once in a while it kicks so hard it almost takes my breath away, and yesterday it kicked Matt's hand so firmly that he and I both yelped in surprise and I ended up doubled over and laughing. I really, really doubt it could move its hands with that much power, which is why I'm thinking it must be back to the head-down position.

At the city council meeting last night, I got all nervous and anxious about chickens. Almost a year of working on this and it all came down to one vote. As the discussion progressed and got a little heated, I could feel the baby getting more and more agitated. Matt and my friend Julie started giggling as the baby's rolls and kicks became abundantly obvious to the outside observer, and Julie put her hand on my upper belly just in time to get a strong thwack from the baby. She and I both jumped and then got a case of the "church giggles" while we attempted to be courteous in the council chambers. I knew that the chemicals and hormones in a mom's body affected the baby (duh!), but it was truly amazing to watch my own baby get all hopped up on my excitement/nervousness level. Only a few minutes after the ordinance passed and the baby went back to sleep, calm and quiet in there.

I'm kind of glad I didn't have to get up to speak at the council meeting last night. It would have been very distracting to be in front of the whole city council, on TV, with a crazed acrobatic baby distorting my belly in bizarre, fairly uncomfortable, and comical ways.

No comments: