Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Baby plays a practical joke on me

Two nights ago the baby moved so much, so constantly, that I got hardly any sleep. It was unbelievable- the kicking almost never stopped, all night. Not painful, but highly distracting. Last night I slept a lot better and generally had a better evening, and in the morning the baby moved a lot during breakfast, as usual. It firmly kicked me, squirmed, kicked some more, got the hiccups, and generally entertained me and Matt for a while with its antics.

Then, sometime around 10am it stopped moving. I didn't think much of this until I realized around 2pm that it hadn't done anything in about 4 hours. That troubled me. Maybe it got tangled up? Freaked out? And then at one point the baby got the hiccups- in the wrong spot. Up by my ribs. Disconcerting!

So I called my health care providers- they told me that if I wanted to, I was welcome to come on down and they'd test the baby to make sure everything looked normal.

My nurse was very nice. First thing she did was confirm that yes- the baby has inverted itself and is now chilling out with its head up. After two months of being head down, it must have decided it needed a change of pace. Now that I've been shown how, I can feel its little bobble head quite clearly- it feels very much like an apple sitting under my skin. Up until today when I smooshed down in that area I could feel a tangled up group of legs and feet parts, and I would inevitably get kicked back. Now- I get a wobbly apple, and I'm a little nervous that I'll poke the little bugger in the eye or something. Temporary ban on smooshing!

Of course as soon as I got rigged up to the doppler, buzzer, etc the baby went hogwild. It kicked the doppler, squirmed very strongly, and generally acted like it knew it was the center of attention. It insisted on squirming right by the receiver, which made very loud scary noises through the microphone. When it kicks deep in my pelvis it feels odd (feels even weirder than kicking in the gut/ribs) and muted, but once I got used to the new feeling it was very clear that no, baby is not stressed, tangled, or upset. Baby just wanted to be upright. I think maybe the effort of getting there required a four hour recovery nap.

The good news is that baby was perfectly content in the new position, and the nurse said that if it spent the last two months upside down it will most likely flip back to upside down sometime soon. Maybe our little frog wanted a heads-up holiday? Hard to tell. Hopefully it will just flip back into the correct position and then stay that way.

No comments: