Monday, February 7, 2011

These are my bins

Grant and Cooper are starting the transition into sharing a room. This is a terrible week to try it, because both of them are recovering from being pretty sick and thus not sleeping well, but we are just rolling with it and seeing what happens.

Last night was pretty awful, with both kids awake at least 5 or 6 times to pee, cough, freak out, cry, nurse, etc etc. But after the fog of the morning lifted, I remembered a nearly hallucinatory moment in the middle of the night. I woke up listening to what seemed at first like classic Cooper monologue, but was actually dialogue between the new roommates.

Cooper: These are my bins. My pants are in this one. And you can use the changing table, but not the bins. They are MINE and you don't get to have my pants.
Grant: Squeak!
Cooper: NO GRANT these are my bins. No touchin' them while I use the potty, 'k? 'K?
Grant: Squeak!
Cooper: 'K. I go pee now.

Then I hear Cooper run off to use the potty. I come downstairs to make sure everything is OK to find that Cooper has turned on all the lights. Great. So much for letting Grant sleep. Grant is standing up in his crib, bouncing up and down with glee, and babbling non-stop, presumably about how cool his big brother is to share his room and talk to him at around 1:30am. Cooper runs back into the room, and tosses himself back onto his bed. I remind him that Grant needs the light off to sleep, and either I can turn it off, or Cooper can turn it off. Cooper opts to turn it off himself like a big boy (excellent) and pops back into bed and flips over, his butt waving in the air, to fall back asleep.

Delirious from being sick and woken up for around the 4th time, I wandered back upstairs without so much as picking up Grant, let alone reassuring or nursing him. And somehow the next time I woke up it was at least 3 hours later. The lights were all still off, Cooper was still in bed, and Grant was just on his usual schedule of 4am nursing session. So that gives me hope that these guys will share a room just fine, eventually.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent start. Expectations are being clarified, and spirits are high. Can't ask for anything more!