Friday, February 25, 2011

1 year and 3 year

We did our tandem well-child checkup today, and it was a success! My plan was to do it all at once, all four of us, and just get it done. So I scheduled both boys with their doctor (we use the same one for both) in adjacent slots halfway between their respective birthdays. Matt and I discussed the plan ahead of time (Cooper first, so that he doesn't have to watch Grant get any shots) and then off we went.

Of course, nobody could have predicted that Grant would sleep the latest he has ever slept in his entire life today. So that made morning nap go from a perfectly planned hour and a half to a counterproductive 20 minutes. That wasn't the greatest start. And I also didn't forsee Cooper getting extremely shy and nervous with the ear-nose-mouth stuff. In the past he's been so good about that, but I probably could have guessed it given his current stranger fears. Him saying things like "I feel nervous and I want to get down please" while struggling vigorously to free himself from my grip as our doctor gently attempted to listen to his lungs was kinda funny, given the earlier question "does he use sentences of 3 words or more in a row?"

And then somehow, poor Cooper thought that he got to play in the waiting room play area afterwards- a preconceived notion that ended very poorly with a remarkable tantrum and severe lashing out. He's actually never hit me that hard before, and it was tough not to put him down in self preservation. But you just can't drop a mad irrational toddler in a dark and dirty parking garage, I suppose, so there's that.

Final stats:

Cooper now has broken the 30lb mark! Big boy! He's just barely 32 lbs. And Grant is no slouch at 24 lbs. That's pretty big for 1, although not enormous. We didn't get accurate heights for either kid, because of nervousness and so forth, but who cares? I know Cooper is tall because he's taller than his peers, and I know Grant is tall for the same reason, so I'll just rest assured they are a nice height.

No comments: