Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Moment of weakness

This morning, as with many mornings, the quest to get both kids in the car in a timely and organized fashion to depart for daycare got a little hectic. As I was clipping Cooper into his car seat, he got extra mad and did something he very rarely does- he intentionally screamed as loud as he possibly could right into my ear. It was awful. And instead of doing something smart about it, I just clamped my hand over his mouth and yelled at him to stop it. It wasn't my proudest moment, but it happened, and at least it made him stop screaming in my ear.

Both the boys were now clipped in the car, so to compose myself a little I went into the house and drank a glass of water and then got in the car to drive. Cooper was silent, petting his favorite blanket and looking out the window as we drove. Grant was happily babbling to himself and playing with the velcro on his shoes. About halfway to daycare, Cooper piped up.

Cooper: Momma, don't do that.
Me: Don't do what?
Cooper: That.
Me: I don't understand.
Cooper: Don't put your hand on my mouth. I don't like that.
Me: I'm sorry buddy, I got frustrated. You were screaming and it hurt my ear.
Cooper: I don't like that. Give me my blankey to help me feel better.

So that's Cooper. He's so stinking insightful that it makes me want to cry. It really amazes me. And next time, I'll give him his blankey instead of clamping my hand on his mouth like an out of control fool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear out-of-control fool (NOT),
If you were really out of control, your hand would have done something much worse, and you would not have made yourself take a time out before getting behind the wheel while your ears, brain, and emotions were so rattled. Nana used to say about being a parent, "We muddle on through as best we can." You muddled great, and next time you'll do even better, sweetie.