Sunday, August 1, 2010

Milestones

There have been a lot of milestones lately in this house- especially for Grant.

Grant got his second pair of teeth in this week, and they are big! I forgot how huge they look in a little baby's mouth. So far we've avoided getting nipped, but I do know it is inevitable with those big chompers that he's going to bite something.

He also started both crawling, and being able to transition himself from a crawl into a sitting position. He's incredibly pleased with himself and spends a lot of time slowly crawling around the house to grab some object, and then sitting there contentedly with whatever precious thing (like a spoon, or washcloth, or a dried leaf) he has found.

This week also brought my first business trip since Grant was born. It went really smoothly and when I got home I was impressed, as always, that the dishes were done, the laundry was under control, and the kids were clean and happy. Even Matt seemed pretty dang put together. We had Grant join Cooper at daycare for two days so that Matt could still work while I was gone, and that went well, too. The report was that he ate well, took good naps, and Cooper didn't seem too weirded out by having Grant there.

The fun part was going to daycare on the day I got home and picking up the two boys. When I walked in, Cooper was playing in the main room. He looked utterly startled and started whimpering like he was gonna cry, and then he finally sputtered out "I want to go see Grant" and then he grabbed my hand and dragged me over to the baby-napping room (where the little guys nap). Grant was just barely waking up and so Cooper, in his funny big brother "parenting coach" mode told me in a rush of words that I should "Pick up Grant put Cooper in car seat in the car to go home have dinner." Sure, kiddo! So we did that.

Lastly, Cooper is SO excited that we are growing string beans. He stands next to the row of beans and tells me to pick them so he can eat them. I'm hoping soon he'll learn to pick them himself, to take out the middleman. I should have planted purple string beans to make them easier to locate on the plants... I planted some yellow ones, but they are not yet ready for harvest. Live and learn, right?

No comments: