Saturday, January 16, 2010

Return of the stink-eye

Last time, around this point, I got a serious talking-to from my doula about not yet having newborn diapers. In a nice way, of course, but I think she was worried that I wasn't prepared in more than just that way. Of course, we ended up doing fine (both in diapers, and in general preparedness).

This time, my midwife gave me a serious "you need to get your act together, young lady" talk about a few things (birth certificate worksheet, frozen lasagna, and other necessities of life according to her practice). I was chagrined. Yes, I've been putting off some stuff. I just have no sense of urgency yet. I know that's a little insane, considering I'm due in about two weeks, but I just, well, don't think I'm having this kid for at least another week.

For some reason, I keep thinking I'll have the kid on the 25th. I have no idea why. But if I end up having it on the 25th, or at least going into labor on the 25th and dragging it out until the 26th, then I will be fairly impressed with myself. You may feel free to make a note of this prediction and see if it comes true.

Cooper today pointed to my belly and started talking about the baby (baby sleepy, baby mama belly, etc). The baby kicked as Cooper was clearly looking at my belly, and I asked, "Can you see the baby?"

He looked at me like I was totally off my nut. "Noooo!" Tone of complete indignation.

Matt laughed. "You are right. None of us can truly SEE the baby. Good job keeping us honest, Cooper."

No comments: