Monday, January 4, 2010

36 weeks

Baby Two is now thirty six weeks along. Favorite activities include hiccuping, growing, kicking, and squirming. According to my midwife, baby probably already weighs a solid 6lbs or more, and she guesses I'll give birth to another kid around 8 to 9 lbs, in about 3 week. She follows that up with, "Of course, you can never tell, and your baby could be much bigger or much smaller, and you could have it later or sooner than that."

Thanks. At least she's honest.

Like last time, baby is very active and is positioned in the vertex-posterior position, which translates to baby is upside down (that's good) and has its feet towards my belly button and spine to my spine (not so good). Note that this position (spine to spine) isn't actually bad, really. Just uncomfortable, and prone to making labor last a bit longer and sometimes, with some people, more likely to cause back labor. So let's call it sub-optimal without being bad.

For the record, Cooper was vertex posterior from about 35 weeks, until about 5 hours prior to the moment of his birth. He spent most of his time which I was laboring like that, and then swiveled into the best possible position right near the end. I think actively managing his position through various tricky midwife and doula suggested techniques is what ended up getting him to shuffle around just in time.

2 comments:

the frau said...

Linnaea came out sunnyside up. I think it's what makes her such a sunny child. :)

Can't believe you're about to be a mom of 2! Time sure flies. I'm very excited for you guys!

MissoulaChick said...

I recall hearing that, frau! It does fit her personality. But I gotta say, given that she was a nice petite newborn, and I'm growing another one for the county fair, I think I'll try to face down again if at all possible. If nothing else, I hear it helps speed the process.