Friday, January 8, 2010

Baby's first expletive

We all knew it would be my fault.

I've been really, really trying to reign in my potty mouth around Cooper. It is hard, because I have become such a conversational curser, and that is no good. Everyone has flaws, right? Mine just happens to be really bad if you have a speech developing toddler in the house.

So you have to picture the moment. I'm gigantically pregnant, it is truly 3 degrees outside, we have about 15 feet of slippery icy snowy expanse to negotiate from car to front door of day care. It is 7:50am- still almost dark. I get Cooper out of the car seat and up and in one arm while I have his special daycare bag over my other arm, and his precious yellow blanket draped over my shoulder. And as I close the door to the car, the blanket slips on my slick down jacket and falls into a heap of soft snow on the ground. "Oh, shit." I muttered angrily, realizing that the blanket was now both where I can hardly reach, and covered in snow- with no real way for me to shake it out until I get inside, which is kinda rude.

And of course, Cooper just started parroting us in the last week or two. He's getting very funny about it, and quite accurate most of the time.

So right next to my ear, Cooper mutters under his breath... "Oh, shit." Inflection was perfect. Pronounciation- flawless. My surpressed laughing (don't reinforce! don't reinforce!) nearly made me pee myself.

I walk in and say hi to the daycare owner, Shane, as he is tending to some other kids. I tell him, laughing, that Cooper's had his first spoken expletive. Shane smiles beautifically at me (the man is like a zen master) and says in just the right funny tone of sarcasm and yet appreciation, "Awwww... another big milestone for the Cooper man."

No comments: