Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Today is torture

Today is Cooper's first day at daycare. It is a lovely place with lots of slides, tricycles, organic food and nice kids. It always looks clean and tidy when I pop in to drop off a form, or let Cooper hang out in prep for his big day.

I'm sure he's fine. It is a gorgeously cool crisp post-thunderstorm summer day, so I know the kids are all out in the yard. I know he had a good dinner last night, and a good breakfast, and is appropriately dressed. But I'm totally useless.

I can't get anything done. I'm counting down the hours to 4pm when I can go pick him up. I'm thinking of him getting nervous with all the new people and new experiences. I'm worried he won't eat lunch, or won't nap, or won't be able to enjoy himself because he's so overwhelmed. Basically, I'm being a typical parent surviving the first day with her kid at daycare.

I'm glad, though, that we were able to wait this long. Cooper can be very independent lately, so even though he is rather shy I am convinced that he will enjoy his time with the other kids. And I remembered to pack his precious favorite blanket so he has it for naptime, which is probably the only thing he really needs from us today.

No comments: