Sunday, July 5, 2009

Belated friend baby announcement, and more

I just realized I forgot to mention that another friend of ours had a baby, about a month ago- a day or two before we left town. Baby Mattea (Mah-TAY-ah) Beatrice (last name starts with G) was born weighing 7lb, 6oz. Her name is in honor of her father's mom (her grandmother), who passed away a few months before Mattea was born. Her nickname is Tea, pronounced "TAY-ah." If I could make Google's blogger add an accent to the E in her name, it would make so much more sense!

While Tea is working hard to fool me into thinking she's an easy kid (by always, without fail, being asleep for the duration of the time that I visit my friend's house to help out), I know that is not the case. Tea isn't a good sleeper even by newborn standards, and my friend's three or four (or more?) visits to the lactation consultant have been helpful, but not an easy fix. However, the latest report is that Tea is starting to sleep a bit better, and her weight gain is really good so even though she's a troublesome little nurser, she's getting plenty in there somehow.

I also just found out that a friend of mine that had a baby earlier this year has been having some really serious mood issues, which is hard to hear. Balancing a new baby, work, family, stresses... it is so hard no matter what, but when you add severe and prolonged mood swings- that just sounds awful to me. Luckily for her, she is a very pragmatic and straightforward person, so she is getting therapy, acknowledging that this is not normal, and seeking lots of help. I'm really hoping she sees improvement with her state of mind soon, of course.

On the brighter side, Cooper's drippy yucky nose finally cleared up and, as hoped, his rather unphotogenic habit of leaving his tongue sticking out all the time also disappeared. I was very suspicious that the two were related! Now if only I could get rid of my extremely bad seasonal allergies this year, we'd all be congestion free!

No comments: