Thursday, May 7, 2009

That's gonna leave a mark

My home office is upstairs, and I can faintly hear whatever is going on downstairs while I work. I can hear crying, laughing, stomping, and other loud noises fairly well.

Today, I was hard at work while below me, I could hear Cooper and Nicole having a lot of fun. The sound of a toddler running back and forth, punctuated by loud shrieks of glee, indicated that Nicole was probably chasing and tickling him, if I had to guess. He was clearly having a blast. And then, I heard, "THUD" and then, of course, wailing. Loud, hurt wailing. More wailing, and then sniffles and Nicole's calming voice "You are OK, poor guy, you are OK..." Maybe five minutes later, Cooper was back in action- yelling "Doggie!" and banging on pots and pans. I didn't really think much of it.

Around an hour later I crept downstairs. Nicole was doing homework on the couch, and Cooper was napping in his crib. She looked at me apologetically and said, "He's gonna have a really big bruise when he wakes up." I told her I had heard something to that effect, and she confirmed that he had tripped and face planted, and seemed to have smacked his face on the floor a bit harder than usual.

He's still napping. I'm really curious if he's going to have a big black eye or what when he wakes up. I guess only time will tell, but I am sort of perversely hoping that he's got a really nice bruise. It'd be a shame to take such a painful face plant and not have anything to show for it.

No comments: