Sunday, May 24, 2009

Welcome Vivian!

My sister had her second daughter on Friday morning. Vivian Rose R., 9lbs 12oz, healthy girl! It is so very exciting. I'm really thrilled for her.

I've already seen some pictures and I think that Vivian looks just like her older sister, Eleanor. Both are cute as can be, and look mostly like their dad.

On a totally unrelated note, I did a little math today after reading a tragic article in the New York Times. Did you know that just about 1500 women die EVERY DAY in childbirth or as a result of pregnancy? Half of those deaths are in Africa. 1500 a day. One of the women profiled in the article died from something very minor- that happened to me, exactly as described in the article. In her case, the untrained midwife failed to do the right thing to fix it, and this little thing killed her. In my case, it was such a minor occurrence that it was not considered at all life threatening to me or to my child. To fix it, no special equipment or medicine was needed, it didn't hurt, and it wasn't even recorded on my medical chart. In essence- this is trivial and unimportant if you are lucky, deadly if you are a poor woman in Africa. A sobering thought.

No comments: