Sunday, May 31, 2009

Better now

Cooper has been suffering from an unknown mild illness since Wednesday morning. Mysteriously, it has only had a few symptoms, of which most are tightly related. He ran a fever, topping out at 104 at one point, on and off for 3 and a half days. As always happens when he's fevery, he also didn't really want to eat, slept poorly, and was crabby. I consider these things all one entity, because that is his pattern when he runs a fever.

On the day (yesterday) that was the first one without fevers, he broke out into a subtle pick spotty rash over much of his body. Today the rash is really faint and doesn't appear to bother him at all.

Around Christmas Cooper had a somewhat similar illness. Fever, weird rash, etc. When I called the doctor she asked me a bunch of questions and then concluded that he has one of the million unnamed viruses that babies get, and unless he got worse or I felt something was wrong and he deserved a really close inspection, we should just wait it out and try to keep him happy. This time I didn't even bother with the phone call- and now that he's happily running around, screaming Doggie, in the front yard while dappled with a light rash I figure it was the right decision.

It does make me wonder though- what are these little viruses he gets? Where do they come from? Are they from eating dirt? Licking the shopping cart handle at Costco? Chewing on muddy wood chips at the playground? I know that they probably make him healthier in the long run, but I'm still curious (and they still stink when you have a sad feverish kid on your hands).

No comments: