Saturday, March 26, 2011

The starling misses his daddy

Cooper loves Matt dearly. Very dearly. And having Matt gone for (gasp!) five days is hard on Cooper. Cooper's ability to tell us what is going on in his head is a huge asset here, even when sometimes it is underneath a layer of toddler brain.

Like yesterday, when Cooper heard a starling squeaking up on a telephone line.

Cooper: Do you hear that?
Me: Yup. It is the starling on the wire (points).
Cooper: I SEE IT! That's a birdy. He's squeaking.
Me: That is called a starling. They are pretty squeaky.
Cooper: The starling is squeaking because he misses his daddy. He's a sad starling. He needs to find his daddy and get a hug.
Me: Oh... (thinking extra hard) OK... Hmm... maybe the starling could get a hug from his mommy later to help him feel better?
Cooper: He misses his daddy. But mommy helps him feel better.
Me: That sounds good.

Or today, at a little friend's party.

Cooper: I WANT ANOTHER CUPCAKE
Me: Each kid gets one cupcake.
Cooper: I WANT ANOTHER ONE. I WANT ANOTHER OOOOOOONE.
Me: Just one. You already ate one. No more for Cooper. All done.
Cooper: NOOOOO I WANT ANOTHER CUPCAKE. I WANT ANOTHER ONE. I WANT MY DADDY TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER.
Me: Let's go get some strawberries instead. That will help.
Cooper: I miss my daddy and that makes me sad. Momma I need a hug. I miss daddy.

On the bright side, strawberries did make it a little bit better, and Matt will be home on Monday.

No comments: