Saturday, October 25, 2008

God and Country

We get a lot of Obama volunteers in my neighborhood, which is nice but distracting. Because I work from home, and my dog freaks out when someone knocks on the door, I pretty much have to say Hi to all of them and tell them to go on their merry way.

Yesterday, I was on a conference call (on mute, thank god) and I saw two women holding notebooks coming towards my house. I had Cooper on my hip, the headset on for the conference call and was wrestling the dog when I opened the door. I smiled nicely and told them, as I tell all of them, we already did 'early voting' and thanks for dropping by.

They looked at me blankly. I looked at them. And then, a realization. They were holding bibles, not voter registration forms. I had just opened my door to the mormons! NooooOooooOooooo!

Without thinking, I blurted out, "Oh jesus, you're not Obama canvassers, are you... sorry, we don't believe in God. But you have a good day." And then I shut the door in their faces. Shut, not slammed. And then I cringed.

No comments: