Monday, May 26, 2008

Hold it!

Cooper has started a new trend that is apparently common in breastfed babies- holding it. Oh yes, he still pees at least a dozen times a day, but as for pooping...

Try every 4 to 6 days.

Now, you might say, "My god! Poor thing is constipated!" But I can verify both through personal observation and extensive reading of baby health literature that he is not constipated. Apparently, this is pretty standard for his age and diet. However, no matter how normal you can call it, it is a long time to hold it.

So now you are curious, I know, about what happens once he reaches capacity? A physically improbable amount of material comes right on out, all at once, filling not only his diaper but also the lower end of his shirt and quite a large part of his pants. Difficult to clean, totally gross, and frankly- hilarious.

I'm glad he doesn't seem bothered by this. As for Matt and me, we are starting to be concerned about the timing of these events. So far we've been lucky and it has always been at the house and pretty contained in scope. But each time, after about three days, I get concerned when we leave the house. Will this be it? Did I remember to pack a spare outfit? I kinda fear the day he decides to let loose and I'm wearing a nice white shirt, or better yet at some sort of a social function. Yikes!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The technical term is "diaper blowout". This is not to be confused with projectile pooping during changing on the changing table - that is a "poopsplosion" and a completely different thing.

Also, your diaper bag should always have an extra shirt for you. I did this for about 6 months. The best type of shirt is a thin synthetic shirt that can ball up tiny and not show wrinkles; they take up almost no space and can be dressed up or down.