Saturday, August 6, 2011

Crazy busy

We've been maniacs around here lately, in a good way. We're selling our house, buying another house, and thus moving. We've got work trips and trips for fun and my parents just visited, too. And of course, Cooper and Grant are moving on up. Cooper starts school in about three weeks, and he's very excited about that. Grant is switching to a new daycare that is near the new house, and we are very happy with how it looks. Naturally, Grant is clueless, but Cooper has been trying to prep him. "You're going to a new daycare. There will be a new Shane and a new Autumn and new kids."

The two of them continue to grow up faster than we can keep up. Cooper tried to carry Grant piggyback today (I helped) and it was one of the cutest, funniest things I've ever seen. "Don't worry Grant, I'm holding your bottom. You hold tight with your hands and I carry you piggyback!" Meanwhile, I'm holding Grant under the armpits as he clings fiercely to Cooper's back, legs splayed like a professional, both of them teetering and giggling crazily.

Grant is learning to say words at quite the clip. His vocabulary now includes just about all the important words in toddler life- Dada, Mama, Brother, Doggie, Chicken, Ball, Down, Up, More, Please, Book, Shoes, Juice, Milk, Yay, Ouch, and then a huge variety of imitation words and miscellaneous sounds.

Tonight, as Cooper was settling in to try to sleep, he came out of his room.

Cooper: Mom, I can't go to sleep.
Me: What's up?
Cooper: Grant left toys all over my room. We need to clean them up before I can sleep.

I hadn't even noticed, but he was right. Grant had strewn three toddler puzzle's worth of little animals all over the floor of Cooper's room. Cooper and I gathered them all up and put them all where they belonged.

Me: I hope that's better, kiddo.
Cooper: Yeah, that's so much better. Thanks for helping, Mom. I love you.

When he's cute and courteous like that, it practically hurts me.

No comments: