Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tell me the future

Cooper is currently missing some of the grammatical structures that the rest of us take for granted. Thank goodness he doesn't let that stop him from constructing jaw-dropping soliloquies. His most recent habit that is amusing me is how he tells long, involved stories of how he's going to do something in the future, and it is almost never apparent what on earth he is talking about until he gets to his "punchline." On the way there, he covers all the bases. And I mean aaaaaaall the bases. Alongside the funny dialogue, you have to imagine he's looking off into space and bobbing his head from side to side with each individual thought...

Cooper: Hey Momma?
Me: Yes, Cooper?
Cooper: I gonna go brush teeth and then I gonna get into Pee-Gees with dinos on them. Then I gonna go to sweep with doggie horsie blankey in my bed wiff my waterbobble. An Grant gonna sweep in his crib upstairs by the bed. Then I gonna get up and eat flakes and take my diaper off and THEN I use the potty and get dressed in my pants and two shirts and get in car with Grant and the bags and then we go to Shanes house for daycare. And THEN I GONNA EAT PANPAKES AND THAT WILL BE GREAT!

All that, to inform me he is looking forward to eating "panpakes" tomorrow morning. Wouldn't want to forget any details. Eventually, I know he'll figure out how to say, "Tomorrow morning..." Until then, bring on the soliloquies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Leigh, I think I told you this, but just for the record, soliloquies were your specialty from age 2 through 4, at least. Especially at bedtime. You would go on for days (I mean DAYS)about what you had done, would do, and also made up stories about toys and animals. When I'd find myself nodding off, I'd offer a Fluffina story, then lights out. But really, I'd listen a long time - your tales were quite mesmerizingly endless and lovable.