Saturday, May 22, 2010

Only 20 more days in a corset

We're doing very well here with post-op recovery. 2:30am and 6:30am were unpleasant- those were when Matt and my phones both rang really loudly, at opposite ends of the bedroom, for what Matt dubbed the "drug alarms." This was to make sure I took my pain pills on time, as not only does being in pain suck, it suppresses breast milk production and that could make us all very miserable, very quickly. But other than the rude awakenings to eat a few crackers and down some pills, the night was fine and today has been good. Grant doesn't seem extra sleepy or cranky, and I've been reassured by four separate doctors that he will have no ill effects from breastfeeding while I'm on the particular meds I need to take, so that's great.

The post anesthesia nausea yesterday was pretty mild, and I got my appetite back around mid-afternoon, so Matt took it upon himself to make me a healthy high fiber meal with a few of my very favorite things. It might sound bizarre, but turkey bacon wrapped around roasted asparagus on a bed of brown rice, with a side of cold carrot sticks, is one of the damn tastiest things I've ever had. And Cooper LOVED his "green sticks with bacon!" much to our amusement. He daintily pulled each asparagus stalk out of the bacon bundle, nibbled it to nothing, and then ate each empty circular crispy bacon shell last. He also asked for a second helping of brown rice, which was amazing to me. He eats more then me some meals.

I still don't know how many stitches I have, because I was told not to take off my surgical dressing until tomorrow. I actually think they used those glue-on strips instead of stitches, but we'll see tomorrow, I suppose. I also have no idea how long the incision is, for the same reason. I do know that the piece of repair-mesh that they inserted under my abdominal wall tissue was 3" x 6", but that stuff is very flexible and thin, and it is designed to be inserted with a minimal incision, so those dimensions don't tell me very much in terms of what my incision scar will look like.

Matt informs me I look like myself again, after spending yesterday rather pale. So that's nice. And the IV that the nurse gave me was amazing- no bruising, no swelling. It looks like I got caught by a thorn- no joke. Just a bitty scratch. I'm really impressed by that!

In terms of practical things, I'm happy to report that while I'm on strict orders to take it very easy, I can still do all the things a person needs to do. I can go up and down the stairs unassisted, get in and out of bed without help, pick things up off the floor as long as I use very good posture, and I'm allowed to stay on my feet as long as I want. Tomorrow I can shower again, so that'll be nice.

The only bummer is that while I can pick up Grant (although I was told not to carry him around much- just pick up and put back down as needed), I'm forbidden to pick up Cooper for at least three weeks. He's just too heavy. Luckily, Cooper is all about "I DO IT MYSELF!!!" lately, so today I've been able to subtly coerce him into getting into the changing table by himself, climbing onto the couch by himself, getting onto the kitchen chairs by himself... you get the idea.

No comments: