Saturday, June 14, 2008

3 vs 4 months

I have an acquaintance that I've lost touch with over the last 6 months or so. Just this last week, I found out from a friend that this acquaintance is pregnant- quite pregnant in fact; about 6 months along. We'll call the friend "Fran" and the acquaintance "Ally" for simplicity here. Fran and Ally know each other well.

Fran was saying how exciting it was that Ally was pregnant, but that Fran could not believe how on earth Ally kept her pregnancy a secret for well over four months. Four months! Fran said that by the time Ally finally told everyone, she was really starting to show, and Fran was relieved- she was worried Ally was sick or depressed or something because of the changes in her body and mood. Turns out she just had morning sickness and 1st trimester exhaustion- very normal.

The whole time we talked about this, I had to fight the urge to explain what I am 99% sure was going on. Ally had a very unusual complication with a pregnancy a few years ago. She ended up needing to terminate the pregnancy at around 3 months (the baby had already passed away at that point) and she and her husband were understandably very upset. Not many people know about this, because she chose not to tell anyone about this first pregnancy until the three month mark and then decided she didn't really want to go through explaining their loss after it had happened. She told me about this one day in a casual conversation while we were talking about something related, and she was very matter-of-fact about it.

I can see why she would have waited an extra month beyond what is considered "normal" waiting time to tell people you are pregnant. After the first loss, it is easy to imagine she'd be even more gun-shy with the second pregnancy. I just found it really hard to listen to Fran talking about how crazy it was that Ally waited so long, etc, without blurting out that I was pretty sure I knew why. But I held my tongue.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

"Kate and Allie" would have been a lot more fun for you to have used. IMHO.

Also, I'm sad that Aurora is on your shit list. I love that name, and I'm a bit disappointed that it's incompatible with my last name.