Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mr. Grumpy reveals his secret

We have had to nickname Cooper Mr. Grumpy for the last week or so, because ever since we got back from NY he's been just generally pissed off. Bad sleeping, frequent bad moods, lots of crying, eating poorly, and short fitful naps. He even vomited one night (which is very, very unlike him).

I have been saying to Matt that we'll know what it was when it is over. And this afternoon, when Cooper was actually in a good mood for a while, that came true. I was tickling him upside down, and as he laughed hysterically with his mouth flopped wide open I saw it. Or should I say "them." And I gasped and said, "No WAY!"

The kid has molars. Two of them. They probably crossed the gum line yesterday, or maybe the day before that. They are big and pointy and the gum around them is really red and sore looking. They look like they huuuuuuurt.

Now, I'm not an idiot. We've been suspecting a tooth issue for a while. But teeth are supposed to come in bottom first, then top. And also, they shouldn't get molars until they are at least one year old. So I suppose I didn't dig too far into the kid's mouth the few times I looked in there. But in retrospect... I should have. 'Cause I would have been giving him some pain killers so he could sleep better, and some frozen wash cloths to gum, and that kinda thing. But no, he had to tough it out. Poor Mr. Grumpy.

Oh well. Now we know. 10 months old, 10 teeth. Discuss.

No comments: